Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Pillow to replace mummy?

Someone forwarded me an email about a pillow in the shape of a hand. The pillow can be placed over a sleeping baby to comfort and provide security to the baby. It supposedly helps to help the baby feel that his/ her mother is holding him.

The person who forwarded it to me says it's cute, and should get one for our new baby. Personally, I don't find it cute at all. In fact, I find it appalling.

How can a pillow replace a mother? Even if it is in the shape of a hand. Babies are meant to be held and comforted. The skin-to-skin contact is needed to help them grow and feel secure in the new environment. And babies are smart! They can definitely tell between a pillow and their mother.

Anyway, when I was a new mother, all I want to do all day is to hold my baby in my arms. That is the most beautiful feeling in the world. So I wouldn't want a pillow to take over my job, even if it can really do it.

No comments: