Sunday, September 03, 2006

Back to the waters

It has been more than 3 months (i think) since I last took Bryan for a swim. The last time I took him swimming was in May 06, that's when he was 6 mths old. I then stopped because
1. heard that there are Cosackie cases in Penang
2. weather has not been good - i only take Bryan swimming if the weather is hot, so that the water is warm after the sun has set. Normally we'll go swimming around 6pm.

Today, he was such a well behave boy. I went for a facial with my friend, and left Bryan under his daddy's care. He was haing his morning nap when I left. When he woke up, his daddy fed him porridge for lunch and then both of them just had fun playing. No tantrums, no crying at all. I am so proud of both of them.

So because he was such a good boy, and the sun was rather warm, i decided to take him swimming at our apt pool in the evening.

Boy of boy, he was scare of the water when we first went in. He held on to me really tightly. This was a sharp contrast to our experience 3 mths ago, where he kicked the water gleefully the moment he went into the water. There was no fear of the water at all then.

I guess he has lost his natural swimming reflex and is starting to develop fear.

It took him a few minutes before he relaxed a bit and held out one arm to bat the water. Slowly his legs kicked a bit but one hand still held on to my swim costume tightly. Refuse to let go.

After about 10 mins, only did he fully relax, started to enjoy the water and waved happily to his daddy who was recording the experience on our new handycam. Although he did kicked the water ala froggie style, his kicks were not as graceful & smooth as the ones when he was 6 mths old. I do have a tinge of regret that i did not take him swimming consistently. But then again, his health is more important than his ability to "swim"

By the time we took him out of the water, he was very comfy with the environment and thus protested with a struggle and some cries.

It's ok baby, if the weather is good next weekend, we'll come again.